Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ajdin Alic

My name is Ajdin Alic I am 18 years old and a freshman at Wayne State University. I was born in Prijedor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and immigrated to the United States with my family when I was 3 years old to escape the war that was going on. I was raised in Hamtramck, Michigan and attended all their public schools, including Hamtramck High School. I graduated high school with a 3.84 GPA and honors; my strong points were math, english, and science. Currently, at Wayne State University I am majoring in Global Supply Chain Management (GSCM). As I was in high school I knew that I was going to major business because that was an area that I was interested in and wanted to study.

This semester at Wayne State I have written many types of papers. One of the first things we did was an evaluation of an advertisement. The things that we were supposed to demonstrate in the assignment were the basic tools and terms of rhetoric. Also, we were supposed to write an analysis that would help the reader how the ad works to influence its audience, both through its images and its text. This meant we had to analyze what kind of images they were using and the color scheme. Another thing that I did this semester was write about abortion. The first paper I wrote on abortion was a definition paper. I defined what abortion was and tried to change people’s view on abortion and help them better understand it; I was for abortion, better known as the pro-choice. The second paper I wrote on abortion was an evaluation about abortion. I evaluated abortion and stated some reasons why abortions can be good. Writing these different types of papers helped strengthen my writing overall and I hope to learn more in the future. With my new experiences in writing I have learned that there is more than one side to every argument. Also, I have learned how to analyze the way the author is making their argument and what it says about their views. Another thing that I have learned is to acknowledge the opposing argument because it can make your argument stronger.

I think that people today don’t like dealing with reality, mainly because they have a lot on their plate already; work, kids, and daily stresses. So, they don’t have the time to really think about what’s going on around them and are more likely to believe the views of others. For instance, the war in Iraq, at the time most of us, Americans, didn’t know what to do or believe so we believed what our government told us. When the Bush administration made the decision to go into Iraq everyone was for it. But, after we, Americans, had time to digest what was going on, most of us were against the war in Iraq. This shows that we are susceptible to the media, and are easily influenced by what we hear or see on the TV. That’s why most Americans rather not watch the news, so they can avoid what is going on in the world today. This would give them less things to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment