Tuesday, April 13, 2010

All About Bryan

My name is Bryan Barnette and I am currently an 18 year old Wayne state University Freshman. Some my hobbies are playing basketball and chess, eating and going out on dates with my girlfriend. My major is electrical engineering. I knew I wanted to be an engineer because of my early childhood experiences with lego blocks. I would put something together and then destroy it. Then my goal would be to restore the legos back to the form that they once were. Similarly engineers always find a problem and try to solve it. In my case, I created my own problems. I grew up on the west side of Detroit on the “infamous” street by the name of 8 mile. I attended high school at Cass Technical High School and graduated with a 3.46 overall GPA. Math and science have always been my strong points and not so much writing. Even with that being the case I am still a pretty decent writer and I have been pretty successful in many of my writing courses.


I currently have already done analysis on a couple of works. I have done an analysis on one of Al Gore’s books An Inconvenient Truth. His book is arguing that global warming is going to cause the world to come to an end. Along with textual analysis of an argument, I have also analyzed visual arguments. I have analyzed a cigarette advertisement and went into great detail on how the picture made its argument. I not only analyzed the words and the pictures, but I looked at the situation and the color of the words. I looked at how the colors in the picture contrasted to make certain things stick out and many more things. Along with textual and visual analysis, I have also done evaluations and proposals, specifically on the subject of abortions. With my extensive research on abortion, It could be concluded that I am an abortion expert. In the future I plan to continue my analysis of other peoples’ work. It is quite entertaining to read or look at a piece of work and after that, picking it apart, piece by piece. If I have time, with my busy engineering schedule, I may perhaps attempt to write a couple of books. If I do happen to write a book, it will be on the subject of global warming and how it is going to make the world come to an end. The warning signs are everywhere and yet people still ignore them.


I feel that today’s media is using famous people to influence people in society into actions, now more than ever. I don’t think you can flip a television channel without seeing a commercial with a famous person in it nowadays. If Nike wants a shoe to sell, what do they do? They put a picture of Lebron James, a basketball superstar, on a poster that says “Wear These Nikes,” and two days later half of the United States has those Nike shoes on. Another example would be the Hanes underwear commercials with Michael Jordan and Cuba Gooding Jr. Cuba tells Mike that he has his underwear on and now everyone has Mike’s underwear on. Today’s media also lies or stretches the truth about a lot of things that occur. One prime example of the media hiding information would be a real life situation that occurred in my neighborhood. There was a shooting that occurred that was covered by the local news station. The woman in the broadcast stated that the shooting was drug related, but there was no evidence of drugs ever even being at the scene of the shooting. That was a bold- faced lie and in fact the shooting was due to an attempted car- jacking. So why do news networks and many other forms of media lie? I believe their reason behind it is to scare the crap out of people and to get a few more views. Those views help them earn a little more pocket change. And that is the problem with society today. Everyone is so money hungry and will do whatever it takes to get a little extra pocket change. The media these days is so corrupt but no one seems to care. People probably see the news more as entertainment rather than information.

No comments:

Post a Comment